Our Local GRA Chapters
33 of Georgia’s 159 counties have incorporated GRA local chapters either through individual county Republican Assembly organizations or by regional organizations. Many of our members, however, also live in counties that have no organized local chapter.
• Cherokee County Republican Assembly: Founded under the leadership of Kevin Wright, who has since gone on to help revitalize the Florida Republican Assembly, the members of the GRA in Cherokee County were instrumental in getting Rick Davies and his successor elected to three terms in a row as Chairman of the Cherokee County Republican Party.
• Cobb County Republican Assembly: The Cobb County chapter was established in July 2016 during the run-off between Tim Lee and Mike Boyce for Cobb County Commission Chairman. Due to Tim Lee’s responsibility for the Corporate Cronyist Braves Stadium deal, in which taxpayers were put on the hook for a billionaire’s private enterprise to the tune of $400 million, the Cobb RAs endorsed Tim Lee’s opponent and successfully defeated Tim Lee. The following year the Cobb RAs were the first local chapter within the GRA to win “Chapter of the Year” when they successfully helped GRA member Jason Shepherd defeat incumbent Rose Wing for Cobb County GOP Chairman. In 2018 when incumbent District 1 Cobb Commissioner Bob Weatherford indicated that he would support an increase in real estate taxes, the Cobb RAs endorsed Weatherford’s opponent Keli Gambrill and helped her to successfully win election. Cobb County has hosted the GRA State Convention and the President’s Annual Dinner 2018-2019.
• DeKalb County Republican Assembly: Led by Steve Simms, the DeKalb RAs are the home of the GRA President Alex Johnson and his law partner Catherine Bernard, who have been active in campaigns to improve GA GOP leadership since 2012. The DeKalb RAs have hosted candidate forums and events to better help voters vet their elected officials. They have also had one of the largest groups of RA members who are considered “minorities” run for office in their county.
• Fulton County Republican Assembly: Led by Scott Jones, and originally founded by Nate Porter, the Fulton County RAs are based in the heart of Atlanta within interstate 285’s loop. Fulton County is not only where the State Capitol resides, it is also the heart of the Democratic Party in Georgia.
• Gilmer County Republican Assembly: Adjacent to the Northwest GA RA chapter, the Gilmer County RAs are the northern-most central chapter in the Georgia Republican Assembly, between Pickens and Fannin counties. The Gilmer County RAs are led by Jason Williamson. By the way, did you know that Gilmer County has only one high school in the entire county and produces more than half a million apples every season?
• Gwinnett County Republican Assembly: Gwinnett County has had the second-largest collection of Republican voters in Georgia, although it has been undergoing some dramatic changes in recent years. The Gwinnett RAs have distinguished themselves for the excellent events they have organized and hosted in their county, including trainings on Roberts Rules of Order, candidate forums and debates, and an annual RA Christmas Party. In 2021 they won the “Chapter of the Year” award.
• Lanier Republican Assembly: The Lanier RAs are named after the counties that surround the lovely Lake Lanier in northeast Georgia near Interstate I-85: Hall, Forsyth, Banks, White, Lumpkin, Dawson, Jackson, Madison, and Barrow counties. Composed of these nine counties, the Lanier RAs in 2018 won the GRA “Chapter of the Year” Award for leading in growth of membership and becoming the largest member-chapter in the Georgia Republican Assembly! They have also co-hosted with the Gwinnett Republican Assembly an annual Christmas Party that has been well attended and encouraging for all involved.
• Northwest Georgia Republican Assembly: The Northwest GA RAs was originally composed of four counties in the northwest region of Georgia bordering Tennessee: Catoosa, Whitfield, Gordon, and Murray. In 2022, they added Walker County to their regional chapter. Led by Eddie Caldwell and Joanna Hildreth, this regional RA organization made state-wide headlines when they ran a successful campaign in March 2019 in Catoosa County to defeat a proposed T-SPLOST.
• Union County Republican Assembly: Led by Charles Claypool, the Union County Republican Assembly is a group of rural conservatives. Situated completely within the Chattahoochee National Forest, Union County borders the state line at the corner of Tennessee and North Carolina, and its main city Blairsville is know most of all for its Sorghum syrup.
• West Georgia Republican Assembly: The West GA RAs are composed of all 13 of the counties that participate in Georgia’s 3rd Congressional District. Their chapter won the GRA “Chapter of the Year” Award in 2019 for successfully campaigning to defeat a T-SPLOST as well as helping a GRA-endorsed candidate for State House to win a special election in October of that year even though he was outspent 2-to-1. The West GA RAs also hosted the first GRA State Convention in Coweta County in 2017.